Bringing you quality articles on the biggest news of the week
Published each Friday, the Digest uses Deepnews’s technology to sort through the mess of thousands of articles on the Internet about a topic that is currently trending in the news.
Direct to your inbox, the top articles each week – these are pieces that go beyond the fluff of attention-grabbing headlines and add something to the conversation.
When you sign up we’ll also send you occasional emails on Wednesday with news, interviews and articles we write about the media industry. You can opt out of these these by clicking the link at the end of the emails.
Check out our previous Digest editions below and put in your information to start receiving them today.
- Looking Closer at AI...April 16, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan Normally each week I select a topic that is trending in the news and look for articles using Deepnews's quality scores so that readers can compare the pieces they see on social media with the wealth of reporting available when you use AI to look for something different. Given that many of our Digest readers are interested in AI, however, this week takes a meta approach and gathered articles you might have missed on artificial intelligence itself. All gathered and scored by Deepnews....View
- Getting Up to Data #...April 9, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan While it is something we should care about all the time, in the last week cybersecurity and questions about how protected our data is online have come into the mainstream after reporting about a data leak impacting more than 500 million users at Facebook. It's the sort of complicated topic where Deepnews scores can be particularly useful for our clients, from publishers using our data find the best work from their own archive of articles to media monitoring companies highlighting articles that get their readers up to date. Here is a selection of some of those well done articles you might have missed on the broad themes of cybersecurity and data privacy, highlighted by our algorithm....View
- Waiting for the Gree...April 2, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan As people around the world begin looking more and more to life after the pandemic, plans are being put in motion to build a more sustainable world and fight the climate change crisis. From European farms to Biden's push for climate spending, there is a huge amount of good reporting into how energy, transport and other systems work now, as well as what they may look like in the future. This week's Digest pulls in 25 pieces from around the world on the general theme of climate, highlighted with scores from our algorithm....View
- WTF is an NFT? #112March 26, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan WTF is an NFT? The short answer is "non-fungible token," a sort of digital asset that also acts as a proof of authenticity. The longer answer is we are still finding out exactly how they will be used and whether the hype around them as an example of blockchain technology is warranted. The concept, which took off in the world of fine art with digital works (like the one above) being sold for millions, has now spread to music, sports and even newspapers. We set our algorithm to go find articles worth reading from the last few weeks to see what it is all about....View
- Georgia Spa Shooting...March 19, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan A gunman killed eight people at a series of Atlanta-area spas Tuesday night, the latest mass shooting in the United States. While the motive for the rampage is still unclear, the fact that six victims were women of Asian descent has refocused attention on a rise in anti-Asian attacks in the last year. This Digest explores the shootings themselves as well as the broader issues they raise, with our algorithm finding pieces of original reporting and analysis....View
- Looking Back at One ...March 12, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan COVID-19, as the name shows, started in 2019, though news outlets around the world this week have been marking the one-year anniversary since the WHO declared a pandemic. This week our Digest seeks to pick out some of the excellent reporting in those pieces, from local news outlets covering the effect on their communities to the changes in the worlds of entertainment and sports. All articles scored by our algorithm for the real reporting and analysis they contain....View
- What Planet Are You ...March 5, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan When I pick the topic for the Deepnews Digest each week I like to pick subjects that are global, so that we can show off our algorithm's ability to pick out gems from all sorts of different outlets you may not be reading on the regular. This week looks not just at our globe, but what's beyond it, covering all things space exploration. While you may have seen the headlines from your own respective country on NASA's Perseverance rover or the ESA, our tech helps uncover stories you might have missed from New Orleans to New Delhi....View
- A Stimulus Syllabus ...February 26, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan As the vaccine campaigns take hold and prove their effectiveness, countries around the world are looking into how to weather the rest of the pandemic and prepare for after it. From negotiations over the American Rescue Plan in the US to COVID relief money in the EU, there is a lot to read about how current efforts are working and what to do next. This week's Digest covers all things stimulus and getting the economy moving again, creating a sort of syllabus on all the different angles. As you might have noticed last week, our Digest now features our scores and confidence for each of the articles included....View
- Freedom of Speech, F...February 19, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan One of the core questions of Deepnews is how to best get people good information online. It's a problem with dozens of facets, from algorithms to business concerns to the human right of expression. The question is always relevant, though particularly so this week, with news of Big Tech companies' negotiations with Australian publishers, censorship in Southeast Asia and continuing discussion of content moderation in the U.S. For this week's Digest I decided to combine the related topics of freedom of speech and "freedom of reach" online, using the Deepnews algorithm to ind and score articles from all over the world....View
- The Great Vaccine Ro...February 12, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan With major milestones of the coronavirus's spread around the world approaching their one-year anniversary, the same countries that one-by-one locked down are now hoping to vaccinate their populations, one shot at a time. It's the sort of global story where it is great to get a broader perspective and in-depth reporting. This week's Digest covers all the angles on vaccines and vaccine rollouts, from the UAE to upstate New York, with our algorithm giving quality scores (4s and 5s out of 5) to articles that are worth a read....View