Bringing you quality articles on the biggest news of the week
Published each Friday, the Digest uses the Deepnews Scoring Model technology to sort through the mess of articles on the Internet about a topic that is currently trending in the news.
Direct to your inbox, the top articles each week – the pieces that go beyond the fluff of attention-grabbing headlines, to bring you pieces that really add something to the conversation.
We’ll also send you occasional emails on Wednesday with news, interviews and articles we write about the media industry. You can opt out of these these by clicking the link at the end of the emails.
Check out our previous Digest editions below and sign up to start receiving it today.
- Thai Protesters vs. ...October 16, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Tens of thousands of protesters have spilled out into the streets of Bangkok as they demand reforms to the monarchy under King Maha Vajiralongkorn, thought to be the world's richest royal and sometimes called the "playboy king." While it may have been the subject of one article in your outlet of choice, I thought it was a good use of Deepnews.ai's technology to bring together the most in-depth pieces in one place. Here is a Digest on the protests, the crackdown, and an unexpected connection to Europe. All found with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- What to Read on the ...October 9, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan With so much focus on what is going wrong in the world, it can be easy to lose sight of the people trying to make things better, whether through medicine, science, literature or efforts at peace. This week five of the six Nobel Prizes were awarded, and our Digest pulled in in-depth articles on the winners, their work and the awards themselves. All gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Armenia and Azerbaij...October 2, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan More than 100 people have been confirmed dead in fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh, which raises worries that violence could descend to the depths of a war in the disputed region that killed tens of thousands three decades ago. While the conflict may only get a passing mention in your news outlet of choice, I thought it was a good use of Deepnews.ai's technology to go deeper. Here are articles about the background to the fighting, efforts at peace and what it means for the world watching on....View
- Show Me the (Suspici...September 25, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Trillions of dollars floating around the globe, questions about just how legal it all is, and the people who help facilitate it anyway. This week's Digest was inspired by all the quality journalism that has come out around the FinCen Files, a trove of U.S. government documents obtained by Buzzfeed News, then shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and more than 100 partner organizations. Here are stories about the documents themselves, the implications from Caracas to Kenya, and looks into money laundering more broadly. Gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Where Will Your Vacc...September 18, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan The world is hoping to soon move to a new phase of the pandemic, one where we have a new weapon against coronavirus transmission. It can be hard to keep track of everything going on in vaccine development everywhere from AstraZeneca to Russia, though this week's Digest brought together in-depth articles from around the world on trials, troubles and more. Gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Western Wildfires #8...September 11, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan The pictures of horrific orange skies over San Francisco brought out comparisons to nuclear winter and Blade Runner, but there is more to the story than just the images. This week our Digest explores wildfires. Our algorithm's search for in-depth, quality pieces of course brought in articles from the West Coast of the United States, currently battling dozens of blazes, though also others that look at disaster management and climate change more broadly. All gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- The Navalny Poisonin...September 4, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Alexei Navalny, Russia's most prominent opposition politician, is as of the sending of this newsletter in a coma at a Berlin hospital, which said that he was likely poisoned with a deadly nerve agent. This week's Digest digs into Novichok, the poisoning, how we got to this point, as well as what the response may be. For a story with international ramifications that are just now unfolding, our algorithm pulled in pieces from all over the world that you might have missed....View
- What Makes It Tik? #...August 28, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Moves by the U.S. administration against TikTok, owned by China's ByteDance, have launched the clock "ticking" towards a potential sale of the video hub's American operations as well as questions about where its future HQ will be. Our Digest this week pulled in all angles on the app, how it got to this point, and what happens now. The Deepnews.ai algorithm isn't skilled at recommending videos of what dances or songs you might like, but with a complex subject like this it is useful for pulling in in-depth pieces from around the world on topics as wide as international affairs, business, tech and entertainment....View
- Conspiracy Theories ...August 21, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan The internet is a big place, with remote corners where feelings of alienation morph into twisted explanations of what is "really" going on in the world. This week's Digest explores the concept of conspiracy theories, from QAnon in the U.S. to COVID-related conspiracies around the globe that are making the leap to the "real world" of politics and public health. While there are always worries about giving oxygen to misinformation, the subject also presents a chance to show off an aspect of the Deepnews Scoring Model. By focusing on quality, these articles steer away from dramatizing the theories and hopefully lead to understanding about why and how they are occurring....View
- Campaign Commences #...August 14, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan It has been a few months since Deepnews.ai has directed its technology to look at quality articles on the US presidential election. For this Digest we dipped back in for the news of the week, a major one that sets the Trump and Biden campaigns up for the next three months. There is a lot of fluff out there, though with the Deepnews Scoring Model we gathered together in-depth articles on the big news of Kamala Harris as the Democratic VP candidate, what is going on with the Post Office and more....View