Bringing you quality articles on the biggest news of the week
Published each Friday, the Digest uses the Deepnews Scoring Model technology to sort through the mess of articles on the Internet about a topic that is currently trending in the news.
Direct to your inbox, the top articles each week – the pieces that go beyond the fluff of attention-grabbing headlines, to bring you pieces that really add something to the conversation.
We’ll also send you occasional emails on Wednesday with news, interviews and articles we write about the media industry. You can opt out of these these by clicking the link at the end of the emails.
Check out our previous Digest editions below and sign up to start receiving it today.
- China and the World ...January 15, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan Readers in North America and Europe may have been distracted by news closer to home, but last week the government of Hong Kong arrested dozens of pro-democracy politicians in the latest round of a crackdown with a national security law. The move drew condemnation around the world, putting renewed focus on other countries approaches to China, from a deal with Europe to tension with Australia to the arrival of a WHO team. This week our Digest pulls in articles from all over that touch on the subject of Hong Kong and relations with Beijing....View
- What Happened on Cap...January 8, 2021The storming of the U.S. Capitol by rioters in Washington for a rally with President Trump has reverberated around the country and around the world. While many people on Wednesday experienced the events in the form of quick breaking news updates, they also call for deeper discussion about issues such as division, misinformation, policing, and more. This Digest gathered articles on many of those angles with the help of the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Placing Bets on 21 #...January 1, 2021Humans have been trying to predict the future since the Oracle of Delphi. As this last year proves, they have met with only occasional success, but that has not stopped them from trying. After last week's Digest that looked back at 2020, this edition (the Digest's 100th!) looks forward at what awaits us in the year we just entered, with articles that touch on predictions and prophesies for 2021. All gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- The Deepnews Article...December 23, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Happy holidays from Deepnews! As the year winds to a close, it also marks the first full calendar year that the Digest has been offering up in-depth articles found with our model .This week's edition looks back at the year that was through the lens of the articles that appeared in our emails. It was a year that was marked and will forever be marked by one gargantuan story, the coronavirus, though it was also a year full of stories that you may have missed. One aspect of our model thatI find constantly refreshing is its ability to pull in articles on more precise angles and pieces from smaller outlets that aren't going to show up on the first page of a news aggregator or trend on Twitter., and for this Digest I selected some of those pieces. They are not the 25 best stories of the year, but to me they are 25 stories that tell the story of 2020. If you would like to take a look back at all our Digests this year, head to the archives on our website....View
- Taking Up “Arm...December 18, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan After months of waiting and approaching a full year of COVID spread, vaccines have finally been injected into arms in places such as the UK and US. The coming days may bring more good news, with potential approval in Europe and a second vaccine slated to get the green light in the States. With a flood of articles this week, we set the Deepnews Scoring Model to look for in-depth articles from the last couple days on all the angles. Here are the results....View
- Let’s Play Mon...December 11, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan In blockbuster lawsuits, U.S. authorities and many states are now suing Facebook under antitrust law, raising the idea that it could be broken up into separate businesses. The move comes after months of expectation and other anti-monopoly action against Silicon Valley giants such as Google, though the issue of antitrust affects areas far beyond tech. This week's Digest explores all the angles from all over the world, all gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- All Eyes on Iran #96December 4, 2020Following the killing of Qasem Soleimani in January, this last week saw the assassination of another Iranian official, nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh. Iran's leaders have vowed revenge for an action that complicates an already tangled web of relations in the Middle East. There are angles involving Europe and the U.S. as well, which all showed up as we set the Deepnews Scoring Model to look for quality, in-depth articles about everything related to Iran....View
- Puzzling Out Pandemi...November 27, 2020It probably isn't circled on your calendar, but the end of this week marks the halfway point between Singles' Day, the biggest global shopping event of the year, and Black Friday, when a sea of shoppers normally surges into stores looking for sales. But what do these days mean (for businesses, for customers, for workers) when pandemic lockdowns in much of the world have sent the transition to online shopping into overdrive? It's a good subject for a little depth, and this week the Digest pulls in recent articles from around the world on e-commerce, all gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- We’re All (Bro...November 20, 2020It probably isn't circled on your calendar, but the end of this week marks the halfway point between Singles' Day, the biggest global shopping event of the year, and Black Friday, when a sea of shoppers normally surges into stores looking for sales. But what do these days mean (for businesses, for customers, for workers) when pandemic lockdowns in much of the world have sent the transition to online shopping into overdrive? It's a good subject for a little depth, and this week the Digest pulls in recent articles from around the world on e-commerce, all gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- A “Shot”...November 13, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan With cases soaring in many countries in recent weeks, the world received what appeared to be a jab of good news with the announcement of 90% effectiveness in trials of the vaccine developed by American pharma giant Pfizer and German BioNTech. The results are welcome, though what happens now, including more trials and issues of distribution, is more complicated. That makes vaccines a good subject for this week's Digest, which gathered quality, in-depth articles from around the world on issues such as ultra-cold storage, "science by press release" and more....View