Bringing you quality articles on the biggest news of the week
Published each Friday, the Digest uses Deepnews’s technology to sort through the mess of thousands of articles on the Internet about a topic that is currently trending in the news.
Direct to your inbox, the top articles each week – these are pieces that go beyond the fluff of attention-grabbing headlines and add something to the conversation.
When you sign up we’ll also send you occasional emails on Wednesday with news, interviews and articles we write about the media industry. You can opt out of these these by clicking the link at the end of the emails.
Check out our previous Digest editions below and put in your information to start receiving them today.
- A Stimulus Syllabus ...February 26, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan As the vaccine campaigns take hold and prove their effectiveness, countries around the world are looking into how to weather the rest of the pandemic and prepare for after it. From negotiations over the American Rescue Plan in the US to COVID relief money in the EU, there is a lot to read about how current efforts are working and what to do next. This week's Digest covers all things stimulus and getting the economy moving again, creating a sort of syllabus on all the different angles. As you might have noticed last week, our Digest now features our scores and confidence for each of the articles included....View
- Freedom of Speech, F...February 19, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan One of the core questions of Deepnews is how to best get people good information online. It's a problem with dozens of facets, from algorithms to business concerns to the human right of expression. The question is always relevant, though particularly so this week, with news of Big Tech companies' negotiations with Australian publishers, censorship in Southeast Asia and continuing discussion of content moderation in the U.S. For this week's Digest I decided to combine the related topics of freedom of speech and "freedom of reach" online, using the Deepnews algorithm to ind and score articles from all over the world....View
- The Great Vaccine Ro...February 12, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan With major milestones of the coronavirus's spread around the world approaching their one-year anniversary, the same countries that one-by-one locked down are now hoping to vaccinate their populations, one shot at a time. It's the sort of global story where it is great to get a broader perspective and in-depth reporting. This week's Digest covers all the angles on vaccines and vaccine rollouts, from the UAE to upstate New York, with our algorithm giving quality scores (4s and 5s out of 5) to articles that are worth a read....View
- Russia’s Naval...February 5, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been sentenced to more than three years in prison only weeks after returning to his home country from Berlin, where he was treated for a poisoning believed to be aimed at silencing him. Beyond the personal story, the sentence has implications for the opposition movement writ large, Russia's political leaders, and geopolitics, with many countries condemning the prosecution. This week we used our algorithm to gather in-depth articles on all the angles, all spotlighted with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- When GameStop Didn...January 29, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan While a certain section of media outlets is always covering the stock market, this week one story, blending finance, technology, and society, exploded into the mainstream public consciousness. So-called "meme stocks" such as GameStop were spurred upwards by individual traders who used Reddit to take aim against the positions of major hedge funds. It's the sort of story, with competing narratives of brave pranksters pushing back against the powerful vs. young whippersnappers who might get themselves hurt, that is ripe for a Digest. Below are articles on meme stocks, the trading platform Robinhood and more....View
- Where Does Joe Go Fr...January 22, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan Despite facing a pandemic, political violence, polarized information and economic precarity, the United States has officially transferred the presidency from Donald Trump to Joe Biden. While in the previous months much attention has focused on the man leaving office, the stage now belongs to the former senator from Delaware, who must confront all those challenges mentioned above. There was of course a flood of coverage of the inauguration from outlets around the world, though this week's Digest, with the help of the Deepnews Scoring Model, covers some of the stories that you might have missed....View
- China and the World ...January 15, 2021Editor: Christopher Brennan Readers in North America and Europe may have been distracted by news closer to home, but last week the government of Hong Kong arrested dozens of pro-democracy politicians in the latest round of a crackdown with a national security law. The move drew condemnation around the world, putting renewed focus on other countries approaches to China, from a deal with Europe to tension with Australia to the arrival of a WHO team. This week our Digest pulls in articles from all over that touch on the subject of Hong Kong and relations with Beijing....View
- What Happened on Cap...January 8, 2021The storming of the U.S. Capitol by rioters in Washington for a rally with President Trump has reverberated around the country and around the world. While many people on Wednesday experienced the events in the form of quick breaking news updates, they also call for deeper discussion about issues such as division, misinformation, policing, and more. This Digest gathered articles on many of those angles with the help of the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Placing Bets on 21 #...January 1, 2021Humans have been trying to predict the future since the Oracle of Delphi. As this last year proves, they have met with only occasional success, but that has not stopped them from trying. After last week's Digest that looked back at 2020, this edition (the Digest's 100th!) looks forward at what awaits us in the year we just entered, with articles that touch on predictions and prophesies for 2021. All gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- The Deepnews Article...December 23, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Happy holidays from Deepnews! As the year winds to a close, it also marks the first full calendar year that the Digest has been offering up in-depth articles found with our model .This week's edition looks back at the year that was through the lens of the articles that appeared in our emails. It was a year that was marked and will forever be marked by one gargantuan story, the coronavirus, though it was also a year full of stories that you may have missed. One aspect of our model thatI find constantly refreshing is its ability to pull in articles on more precise angles and pieces from smaller outlets that aren't going to show up on the first page of a news aggregator or trend on Twitter., and for this Digest I selected some of those pieces. They are not the 25 best stories of the year, but to me they are 25 stories that tell the story of 2020. If you would like to take a look back at all our Digests this year, head to the archives on our website....View