You might be sick of hearing about the “rise of China,” but East Asia has other important power centers too, such as Japan and South Korea. This newsletter captures the latest updates from the whole region, including China, covering business, politics, and more.
Articles include stories from local news outlets in the region, as well as the big media houses. East Asia continues to be a technology hub and this newsletter covers the entire gamut of the region’s tech space, from mobile phones to cutting-edge mechanization in manufacturing.
One of the major stories going forward is of course the region’s responses to the ongoing pandemic. After a strong beginning handling the crisis, we hope to cover articles that analyze the reasons behind this success as well as future challenges.
- East Asia #2August 5, 2020
- China and COVID
- Asylum for Hong Kongers
- Duterte and economy
- Ending war in Korea
- East Asia #1July 29, 2020
- Membership in CCP
- Fishing in North Korea
- Vietnam evacuations
- Singapore's situation
- Hong Kong Security L...July 10, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Tensions between the opposition in Hong Kong and its government, as well as Beijing, have been mounting for years, with last summer's protests one of the earliest subjects covered by this Digest when we launched more than a year ago. Now a new national security law has been imposed, with some fearing it will forever change the city by criminalizing "subversion." This week's Digest, gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model, explores the law and its aftermath, with articles from local sources as well as those wondering about Hong Kong's place in the world going forward....View
- India-China Border B...June 19, 2020After increasing tensions along the "Line of Actual Control" in the Himalayas, this week saw the deadliest clash between Indian and Chinese forces for decades. It came during a complex time, a global pandemic, and is by itself a complex story with questions of the region's history, global geopolitics, and what has been happening in Kashmir in recent years. While many of our readers may be unfamiliar with the background, these pieces of analysis and reporting gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model are a good place to start....View
- All Eyes on Asia ...May 13, 2020Some countries in Europe have begun reopening in earnest this week, though when looking East it becomes clear that the process of managing the wind down in restrictions will be a long one. This week's Wednesday Digest picks up where last Friday's left off and gathers a group of articles about how countries in East and Southeast Asia are coping with coronavirus, from worries about discos in South Korea to the role of Taiwan's vice president/epidemiologist. All articles have been gathered with the help of the Deepnews Scoring Model, and we hope they help you feel informed....View
- All Eyes on Asia #61May 8, 2020When I learned that the "reinfections" found in South Korea had been false positives, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. It was like getting a note from the future that things were not going to get that much worse. Global news has never been more important than during coronavirus, and though the amount of foreign bureaus is on the decline, there are still intrepid reporters around the world and local papers digging deeper into stories with global impact. This list, found with the Deepnews Scoring Model, showcases some of them, focusing specifically on the countries of East and Southeast Asia....View