Latin America is among the fastest-developing regions in the world. However, it continues to be plagued by issues such as poverty, corruption, and a lack of transparency. This newsletter covers the latest happenings in the region, from big picture issues like the economy but also the personal stories of people living their daily lives.
Pieces for this newsletter come from a range of sources such as outlets that specialize in coverage of Latin America for English-speaking audiences, English versions of powerhouse papers in Spanish or Portuguese, as well as more niche outlets.
An emerging story from the region is that it has been hit hard by the COVID-19 crisis, resulting in immense pressure on healthcare as well as political leaders. Deepnews.ai hopes to cover the extent of the pandemic in Latin America as it searches to find its future.
- Latin America #8September 17, 2020
- Poaching pressure
- Paraguay conflict
- Studying in Tijuana
- Venezuela's quarantine motels
- Latin America #7September 10, 2020
- Operation Condor
- Ecuador's debt
- A "Lost Decade?"
- LatAm's universities
- Latin America #6September 3, 2020
- Migrants from Another World
- Pablo Escobar's son?
- US and Venezuela
- Remittances rebound
- Latin America #5August 27, 2020
- Cuban baseball
- Eduardo Saverin on tech
- El Jefe by Alan Feuer
- The history of vanilla
- Latin America #4August 20, 2020
- Pedalling in Guatemala
- Fishing fleet and Galápagos
- Mexico targets junk food
- Latin America #3August 13, 2020
- Paper maze in Amazon
- Next Great S.A. Airline?
- Yellow jersey in Brazil
- Deported children in Guatemala
- Latin America #2August 6, 2020
- Food insecurity in C. America
- Goldminers in Amazon
- Argentina fires
- Future of Operation Car Wash
- Latin America #1July 30, 2020
- Colombia coal fight
- Brazil's governors
- Peru and populism
- Asia eyes Mexico
- Looking at Latin Ame...June 10, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Since our last Digest on Latin America the continent has come into even sharper focus as a center of efforts to fight COVID. Articles this week cover major political headlines such as Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro threatening to pull out of the WHO, but also smaller stories such as that of Mexico City's Jewish community. They all offer something in-depth, all gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model....View
- Looking at Latin Ame...June 5, 2020Editor: Christopher Brennan Though countries in Europe and states in the U.S. are pushing towards reopening, the coronavirus continues to spread and the WHO has said the new epicenter of the crisis is Latin America, the subject of this Digest. From buses in Brazil to movies in Mexico, the selection gathered with the Deepnews Scoring Model offers an in-depth look at the region....View